ITIL is a framework which allows IT Managers to standardize the IT processes which aim at satisfying the demand of their system's customers and/or end-users.
In order to meet customer's needs, ITIL organises the lifecycle of IT Services which are delivered by IT.
The IT department can supply several types of "services", for instance :
- Applications (SAP, CRM, Document Management)
- Purchasing of IT material (PCs, printers...)
- Help Desk, Call Center
- Internet Services (Home Banking system for a bank for instance)
- Hardware Installation
ITIL V3' service life cycle defines 5 "steps":
- Service Strategy : it defines which services the IT department should provide
- Service Design : it defines what the delivered services are and how they are realized
- Service Transition : it determines how a designed service is put into production
- Service Operation : it describes how services have to be run in production (according to their specifications and their Service Level Agreements)
- Continual Improvement : a set of processes to improve the life cycle realization