Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Esslinger's Interview : Passion, Courage, Innovation and Design

I found the following interview of Hartmut Esslinger by Guy Kawazaki about Design really great. I like Kawazaki's questions. They lead to good answers. Here are some some elements of Esslinger's answers I recognize in my daily work.

Passion and Courage

"Excellent products require more then just a good designer or a good design agency—they require humanistic and cultural vision, courage and discipline in execution"

I had already noted this in one of my books on Strategy: "Passion and courage distinguish those who lead from those who manage" (The Art and Discipline of Strategic Leadership - Mike Freedman).

And indeed, I have experienced that when I want to design an ambitious system, I need the support of a visionnary executive. My problem is : I always design ambitious systems. So most of the time people don't understand (no vision) or don't follow (no courage), which often creates me some frustration.


Innovation

"The professional task of innovation includes to balance technological advancements with social relevance and sustainability".
At IBM we call it "innvovation that matters" and it's one of our 3 IBM values. So called "Innovation funnel" techniques can be also applied. It was the subject of my MBA Thesis applied to Software AG Belgium's Go-To-Market Strategy.


Who is a designer ?

“Design” isn’t a clear-cut talent profession, but one of coordination and catalyst between human needs, science and technology, business and economy, as well as sociology and ecology. The artistic talent required is more of an enabler at the end of rational and emotional analysis as well as strategic conceptualization

It makes me think about the definition of an Architect by Vitruvius and the numerous "Soft Skills" IBM Certified Architects need to demonstrate.

Personal Conclusions...

When I think about Passion, Innovation & Design I realize I'm probably indeed a good candidate for "Designer", or "Architect" (there is a difference between Architecture and Design but it's another story). Those elements are very close to my heart.

My only "problem" is that design only doesn't satisfy me completely. I would like to see the impact of Ambitious Designs on the bottom line, this will eventually lead me on the path of Entrepreneurship and Business Development.

No comments:

New website for Kainumai

For the past few months, my son and I have dedicated our efforts to crafting a new website for my burgeoning company. Initially, we opted fo...